First Session Down, Second One This Saturday
Well my first public presentation is in the bag. It was easier than I thought, got good reviews but not without glitches:
- Average score was a 4.1 ( out of 5 ) 😀
- Some items were missed during prep.
- I forgot to go back to the slide deck and the end.
- No blog post before the presentation told folks what code I was going to show during the presentation (will post that later this week).
- I made the egregious error of typing during a demo. I will never try not to do that again. Even after I did a copy and paste of working, un-edited code, it still didn’t work.
What did I do right? I helped people really grasp some of the core differences between SQL Server and Power Shell–like how when you run part of a script and load some data into PowerShell variables that data persists for when you need it later. This is completely different from how T-SQL works and was literally a jaw-dropping point for some of the people in the room. The other thing I did right was to partner up with a speaker that knows more about PowerShell than I do. A safety net of knowledge is a wonderful thing! Finally. The whiz-bangs I had planned for the end of my demo worked great. (Look for those whiz bangs to start showing up on here in a few days.)
This was a great learning experience for me and hopefully it provided some helpful tips to the good folks who came to my session. I started out the session with a little video from Daft Punk. The video goes through some hand motions with words written all over the hands. I got to use PowerPoint for the first time in my life. I wonder if I could have put the video in the PowerPoint? (Jennifer says yes: http://tinyurl.com/yc7ndy8.) Hopefully I can learn from all these lessons and provide an even better session next time.
As promised, here is the link to my PowerPoint slide deck
Can’t wait for Richmond this Saturday, catch you there!